Sparkly Vintage Ornament Gift Toppers
By: Lydia Nordhoff
November 20, 2019
I love a good vintage ornament… the simple shapes are so classic and they’re always so colorful and shiny! I don’t own any vintage ornaments but it’s easy to pay homage to them with these DIY vintage-style ornament gift toppers/ornaments!
All you need is some unfinished wood ornaments and some paint bling and you’re gifts and/or tree will be the best dressed in the neighborhood. Here’s how to make them:
- Americana Acrylics 2oz - Snow (Titanium) White
- Americana Acrylics 2oz - Kelly Green
- Americana Acrylics 2oz - Tuscan Red
- Dazzling Metallics 2oz - Shimmering Silver
- Dazzling Metallics 2oz - Splendid Gold
- Craft Twinkles 2oz - Christmas Red
- Glamour Dust Glitter (Liquid Glitter Paint) 2oz - Ice Crystal
- Glamour Dust Glitter (Liquid Glitter Paint) 2oz - Gold Glitz
- Glamour Dust Glitter (Liquid Glitter Paint) 2oz - Emerald
- Glamour Dust Glitter (Liquid Glitter Paint) 2oz - Black Ice
- Unfinished wood ornaments
- Adhesive foam mounting squares and disposable plates (optional)
Apply a coat of Americana Acrylics in Snow (Titanium) White to the ornaments so that the colors have a more vivid payoff.
*Painting thin, flat objects hack: attach adhesive foam mounting squares onto the back of what you want to paint and attach to a disposable plate. Then you can easily paint the sides without touching and the paint doesn’t stick to the surface while it dries!
I used DecoArt Dazzling Metallics in Shimmering Silver for the tops of the ornaments where the silver tops would be on vintage ornaments.
Play with layering and designs! The base of both the Craft Twinkles and the Glamour Dust are not opaque, so you can play with layering them over acrylics for more color. Craft Twinkles have larger glitter pieces and Glamour Dust is more fine glitter. They’re both equally beautiful… just look at that BLING!
I used Americana Acrylics in Tuscan Red under the Craft Twinkles in Christmas Red, Americana Acrylics in Kelly Green under the Glamour Dust in Emerald and Dazzling Metallics in Splendid Gold under the Glamour Dust in Gold Glitz.
String ribbon through the holes and add to the top of a wrapped gift! Heck, they’re so pretty they don’t even need wrapping!
How would you paint vintage-style ornament gift toppers?
Be sure to visit Lydi Out Loud for more projects and to learn more about Lydia Nordhoff.