NEW Chalky Finish Color Mixes
September 13, 2016
There are now even MORE Americana Decor Chalky Finish color options to choose from at Michaels stores around the country, but we know that everyone loves to mix their own colors!
We challenged the DecoArt Design Team to come up with a few custom colors for you guys, and they did not disappoint. Create these colors by mixing Americana Decor Chalky Finish colors in the proportions listed below.
Which one is your favorite? Let us know in the comments below.
Here are some more tips for creating your very own custom color mixes:
- Make a mixing swatch chart for reference by using 1/4 teaspoons amounts of paint. Purchase old mixing spoons at flea markets for this. When you get to the color you want, write down the ratios on an index card and paint a swatch of the color on the card. This will make repeating mixes easier in the future.
- Mix in a resealable container to keep for future use (clean glass or plastic jars or mason jars work well).
- For consistent proportions, use a disposable cup to measure paint. Mark a fill line with a permanent marker and cover the mark with transparent tape to prevent it from rubbing off.
- Stir mixture with a palette knife or a popsicle stick. Small amounts of paint are easier to mix.
- Mix more paint than you think you'll need, to have on hand for touch-ups and sample swatches.
Find even more custom color mixes here.
Are you looking for more Chalky Finish application tips and techniques? Check out the Chalky Finish education page. You'll fine a wealth of knowledge on distressing, using resists, stenciling, and more!