See more projects using this product.
Learn more about Americana® Acrylics.
Americana Decor® Chalky Finish™ Paint
Americana Decor® Varnishes
- Light Satin Varnish (ADM05) — optional
- Ultra-Matte Varnish (ADM04)
- Antique Green (DA147)
- Antique White (DAO58)
- Aqua Sky (DA333)
- Asphaltum (DA180)
- Avocado Dip (DA254)
- Bright Salmon (DA329)
- Burnt Sienna (DAO63)
- Buttermilk (DAO3)
- Chartreuse Yellow (DA330)
- Cinnamon Drop (DA308)
- Coral Shell (DA316)
- Dioxazine Purple (DA101)
- Lamp (Ebony) Black (DAO67)
- Lavender (DAO34)
- Light Buttermilk (DA164)
- Moon Yellow (DAO7)
- Mustard Seed (DA264)
- Peacock Teal (DA326)
- Persimmon (DA293)
- Plantation Pine (DA113)
- Prussian Blue (DA138)
- Purple Cow (DA272)
- Russet (DAO80)
- Spa Blue (DA277)
- Spiced Pumpkin (DA310)
- Sunny Day (DA325)
- Tangerine (DAO12)
- Warm White (DA239)
- Watermelon Slice (DA324)
- Wisteria (DA211)
- Victorian Baroque Border (6" x 18") (AS100)
Primers, Sealers, and Finishes
- Americana® Primer & Sealer (DS17)
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- tracing paper
- sandpaper (150-grit)
- #2 round brush
- #6 flat brush
- #8 flat brush
- #8 dome blender brush
- #4 flat brush
- 3/8" angular shader
- 3/4" glaze/wash brush
- #10/0 liner brush
- grey transfer paper
- 3/4" stencil brush
- 1/2" angle shader brush
- 1" mop brush
- foam texture stamps (Laurie Speltz Designs)
- Lumpy Pumpkin Plaque - 20-11546 (Viking Woodcrafts)
- #14 dome round blender brush
- #6 dome round blender brush
NOTES: Refer to color photo for shading and detail placement. Use the brush that best fits the size of the area to be painted. Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Seal the plaque surface with one coat of Primer & Sealer. Let dry. Sand lightly. Wipe off the plaque.
- Basecoat the plaque with Renaissance. Let dry.
- Stencil the background with the Victorian Baroque Border Stencil and Lamp Black.
- Trace and transfer on the basic pattern lines.
- Shade around the outer edge of the plaque and around the entire design with Lamp Black.
- Moon and stars: Basecoat with Mustard Seed. Let dry. Shade with Spiced Pumpkin. Float highlights with Moon Yellow. Deepen the shading with Persimmon. Float brighter highlights with Sunny Day.
- Pumpkin: Basecoat with Spiced Pumpkin. Stencil the pumpkin with the tiny polka dot foam set and Russet.
- Trace on the sheep design.
- Shade the pumpkin and around the sheep with Persimmon. Dry-brush with Tangerine. Deepen the shading with Burnt Sienna. Dry-brush brighter highlights with Mustard Seed. Deepen the shading between the pumpkin sections with Russet. Basecoat the stem with Asphaltum tipped in Antique White. Shade at the base with Lamp Black. Line a highlight with Light Buttermilk.
- Sheep: Basecoat the sheep with Antique White. Shade around the blanket with Asphaltum. Softly stipple the sheep with Buttermilk. Repeat with Light Buttermilk.
- Deepen the shading under the blanket with more Asphaltum. Stipple the sheep with a little Warm White to brighten. Base the head, ears, tail, and legs with Lamp Black. Shade under the ear with Asphaltum. Dot the eye and line the stitching on the face with Warm White.
- Blanket: Base the blanket with Avocado Dip. Shade with Antique Green.
- Dry-brush with Chartreuse Yellow. Deepen the shading with Plantation Pine. Line the stars with Sunny Day.
- Pumpkin: same as Step 7 without the polka dots. Line the bow with Lamp Black. Pink trim: Base with Bright Salmon. Shade with Watermelon Slice. Highlight with Coral Shell. Dot with Aqua Sky. Purple trim: Base with Purple Cow. Shade with Lavender. Highlight with Wisteria. Dot with Sunny Day.
- Blue trim: Base with Aqua Sky. Shade with Peacock Teal. Highlight with Spa Blue. Dot with Bright Salmon. Line above Purple Cow with Sunny Day. Line and dot the stitching and tassels with Lamp Black.
- Ground: Dry-brush with Antique Green. Dry-brush highlights with Avocado Dip. Float a highlight along the tops of the hills with Chartreuse Yellow.
- Pink house: Base with Bright Salmon. Shade with Watermelon Slice. Float highlight with Coral Shell. Deepen shading with Cinnamon Drop.
- Blue house: Base with Aqua Sky. Shade with Peacock Teal. Float highlight with Spa Blue. Deepen shading with Prussian Blue.
- Roofs and windows: Base the roofs with Asphaltum. Highlight the tops with Persimmon; shade the bottoms with Lamp Black. Base the chimneys, windows, and doors with Lamp Black. Line the smoke and around the doors and windows with Warm White. Line the fence with Light Buttermilk.
- Blue banner: Base with Aqua Sky. Shade with Peacock Teal. Dry-brush and then float a highlight with Spa Blue. Deepen the shading with Prussian Blue.
- Purple banner: Base with Purple Cow. Shade with Lavender. Dry-brush and then float a highlight with Wisteria. Deepen the shading with Dioxazine Purple.
- Pink banner: Base with Bright Salmon. Shade with Watermelon Slice. Dry-brush and then float highlight with Coral Shell. Deepen the shading with Cinnamon Drop.
- Green banner: Base with Avocado Dip. Shade with Antique Green. Dry-brush and then float highlight with Chartreuse Yellow. Deepen the shading with Plantation Pine.
- Stamp designs onto the banners using the foam stamp set and Light Buttermilk.
- Line or stencil the FALL lettering with Lamp Black.
- Finishing: Outline as desired with Lamp Black. Varnish with Ultra-Matte or Light Satin Varnish. (See photo for details.)