See more projects using this product.
Learn more about Americana® Multi-Surface Acrylics.
Americana® Multi-Surface Acrylics
- Apple Green (DA518)
- Black Tie (DA539)
- Brown Sugar (DA534)
- Green Beret (DA521)
- Mushroom (DA533)
- Steel Grey (DA538)
Primers, Sealers, and Finishes
- Americana® Matte Spray Finish (DAS13)
- water container
- palette or plastic plate
- paper towels
- stylus or pencil
- tracing paper
- transfer paper
- craft box (Michaels - ArtMinds)
- 1/2" stippler brush
- 3/4" wash brush
- white charcoal pencil
- miscellaneous ephemera (ex: book catalogue card, cancelled stamps)
- #1 liner brush
- palette knife (Americana Palette Knives and Texture Tools Set - DAS221)
- Basecoat the entire box Steel Grey using the 3/4" wash brush. Let dry. When dry, sand lightly going with the grain. With a damp paper towel, wipe to remove any dust. Apply another coat and repeat the sanding process.
- Using the 3/4" wash brush, basecoat the inside of the box with a color of your choice.
- With the 1/2” stippler brush and Shale Green, apply the leaf stencil to the box front. On sides, let it fade away to back softly losing focus. (I flipped the stencil so that the leaves faced each other on the front part of the box and pounced in heavier branch areas and scuffed near trunks to keep color transition gradual.)
- On the lid, measure 1/2” and mark with a white charcoal pencil. Using a #1 liner brush and watery Shale Green, apply the line. Outside the line, apply the top of stencil branches with Shale Green and a 1/2” stippler brush.
- Trace leaves onto tracing paper. Place ephemera and move around with leaf tracing until you have a pleasing design. When satisfied, make little marks with the white charcoal pencil to mark position of ephemera.
- Apply Americana Matte Decou-Page liberally to the back of the book card with a 3/4" wash brush. Press down into position and smooth. If any Decou-Page squishes out, wipe away with a damp brush. Let the card dry.
- Mix equal amounts of Decou-Page and Brown Sugar. Apply mix loosely to the top of the book card.
- Decoupage on rest of ephemera following same sequence as in steps 5 & 6.
- Transfer leaves on with transfer paper. Mix small puddles of Apple Green and Steel Grey; Green Beret and Steel Grey; and Mushroom and Brown Sugar for leaf colors. Using these colors and mixes, basecoat each leaf, working wet on wet with loose strokes. (I tried to vary colors using straight Mushroom sparingly.)
- Mix Brown Sugar with a touch of Black Tie for stem and leaf veins. Highlight with Brown Sugar and Mushroom with a #1 liner brush.
- With Brown Sugar, highlight some areas with a #1 liner brush.
- Mix Green Beret and Steel Grey and Brown Sugar and shade some areas with a #1 liner brush.
- With Black Tie, shade on Steel Grey basecoat randomly around stamps, library card, and leaf valleys or dips with a #1 liner brush.
- With Brown Sugar and a touch of Black Tie, shade around the stamp and leaves on the library card with a #1 liner brush.
- With Black Tie, shade around the inner border corners, keeping the float soft.
- Seal box with several coats of Americana Matte Spray Finish, allowing to dry between coats.