See more projects using this product.
Learn more about Americana Decor® Chalky Finish™.
Americana Decor® Chalky Finish™ Paint
Americana Decor® Varnishes
- Soft-Touch Varnish (ADM03)
- water container
- paper towels
- sandpaper (coarse to fine)
- 2" chip brush
- old rag
- power saw
- foam paint roller (and tray)
- plastic cup or container
- wood stain
NOTE: Let dry completely between painting steps.
- Build a farmhouse table with these instructions from Ana-White.com (http://ana-white.com/2012/11/plans/farmhouse-table-updated-pocket-hole-plans). The table shown has an extended table top to 8 feet so that the end chairs could slide under.
- When building, make notches by making numerous cuts side by side to a certain depth of the wood and then chisel out the remainder that wouldn't break off.
- Once table is assembled, sand it down really well, using coarse to fine grit sandpaper. It doesn't have to be completely smooth, this will give it a more weathered look. Clean sawdust off with a damp paper towel.
- To create a whitewash, mix one part of Everlasting with one part of water in a plastic cup. Paint this mixture on with a large paintbrush. Working in large sections, wipe the excess paint/liquid off to reveal the whitewashed grain.
- Choose a dark stain. Brush it on and then wipe it off almost immediately after applying. Work in small sections to keep it manageable. You can also spread the color with the same rag being used to wipe it off. The less stain used, the lighter the color.
- After it has dried a bit, use your brush with barely any paint on it to do a dry brush technique to add a little more white to the tip. This will give it a little extra texture.
- Paint the rest of the table base in Everlasting. Do a couple of coats on the legs if you used a wood other than pine (this was Douglas Fir). Allow paint to dry completely between coats.
- Sand and distress the base of the table. Finely sand the top of the table, but only lightly.
- Seal the entire table with Soft Touch Varnish. Use a roller for streak-free finish and do several light coats. Let dry completely for 24 hours before using.